Your vibe attracts your tribe
“If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.” — Winnie the Pooh
A good friend is someone you can’t imagine living without. In school, we learn about reading, writing and arithmetic, but we never get formal training on friendship. It’s something we discover over the course of our lives. Making friends comes easy to some and is harder for others, but everyone has the potential to have close relationships if we keep a few things in mind.
First, it is my belief that we don’t have to be close to everyone, but we should be nice to everyone. We just need to determine with whom we want to be intertwined.
Second, in order to invite people in, we need to remain open and be willing to be vulnerable. If we are closed, we are limiting all that we can have.
Third, connections take time and disappointment will happen. Do not despair because everyone who comes into our lives is not always meant to stay. However, it is my belief that they came to teach us something, which may be revealed now or later.
Lastly, friendships need care and nurturing to flourish and will only grow and develop with the right investment. Here are some more things to consider and to keep in mind so that we can be the very best to those that mean the very most.
1. Be nice — Plain and simple. This is the foundation of where it all begins.
2. Be loyal — Loyalty is rewarded with loyalty (through thick and thin).
3. Be a good listener — Make sure you are there in mind, body and spirit.
4. Want good things for others (even when you may not get the same things for yourself).
5. Be forgiving — Never hold grudges.
6. Be respectful — Everybody wants to be treated with kindness and compassion.
7. Be resilient — Bounce back quickly and be willing to grow together.
8. Be positive — We all need to be uplifted.
9. Be supportive — Encouraging words and actions are transformative.
10. Be patient — Trust takes time to develop.
11. Be understanding — Things may not always look as they seem so give someone the benefit of the doubt.
12. Be honest — You always need people who will be candid to make you better (especially with things you may not want to hear).
13. Accept — A real friend does not try to change you or put you down. They understand you and help lift you up.
14. Laugh — Friendships should bring joy and levity. A good laugh cures a lot.
15. Love — Love + friendship = happiness